Anyone know of a tiny, way-too-hardy, nocturnal (cat?)fish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
knifegill
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Wa
Location 2: wa

Anyone know of a tiny, way-too-hardy, nocturnal (cat?)fish?

Post by knifegill »

Someone on another forum asked about keeping a fish in his school locker. As you might expect, he was quickly shot down. But aren't there certain species of catfish which remain indifferent to even high levels of toxins? What of the cave fish who live in virtual mineral soups, never experiencing light? In, say, a two or five gallon tank with weekly 100% changes and light feedings, aren't there at least a few candidates for locker living?
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Sid reads post

Sid doesn't get surprised anymore by ther sheer cruelty of his fellow men

Sid is in dubio; where to file this post: troll or cruelty to animals?

Sid tosses a coin

filed under troll

case closed
:twisted:
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

sidguppy wrote:filed under troll
Sid is wrong.

Although the contents may raise some eyebrows, I think Knifegill's question - are there any catfishes that can live in dark and "polluted" circumstances - is meant seriously.
See his other posts: no trolling at all.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

To answer this seriously:

There are many fish that don't need (much) light to be happy.

However, to believe that fish that lives in caves or wells doesn't have clean water is probably not correct.

There are certainly fish (and other creatures) that survive in the most appalling chemical soups, but most are much happier in clean water of the right pH. For example, Corydoras can survive in small puddles during the dry-season by breathing atmospheric oxygen - but LARGE numbers of these also perish during this season - that's why the species survival depends on the adults spawning many many times during the rainy season.

The other main problem with a tank in an enclosed space like that is the water movement. If there's no access to electrics, the tank will not have a filter of any sort, which means that the water will go stagnant quite quickly. Stagnant water can very quickly become poisonous

100% water changes is probably not the best way to keep a stable chemistry and bio-filtration - partial water changes more frequently is much better.

--
Mats
knifegill
My cats species list: 22 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: Wa
Location 2: wa

Post by knifegill »

Thanks. I kind of figured nothing would thrive on neglect, but look at nature with its constant assault on common sense. I'll bet there is something out there that could live on this kind of treatment and hug you for it, but since it would be cruel to try it without hard, cold evidence, we can conclude that no commonly available living thing should endure these conditions.

Unless you count a dried up lungfish living in a block of hard mud or something like mushrooms. :)
An opportunity to routinely impose a statement... I'll pass. ;)
nonamethefish
Location 1: CA

Post by nonamethefish »

A crawdad or other aquatic bug maybe?

you could get into trouble though, if the school finds out. I can't see doing water changes either.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Assuming you have some light coming through some ventilation slots you would be able to keep a pair of some killies in a one or two gallon container. Just change half the water every week and feed them carefully.
Just add one inch of boiled peatmoss and a pair of Nematolebias whitei. Harvest and replace the peat every two weeks and store it for two months and then add water. You should have fry within 15 to 30 minutes.
Another annual that would work is Nothobranchius guentheri.

If you don't like annual killies then try Aphyosemion australe or Aphyosemion striatum. They will live in the same small tank but provide them with acrylic yarn mops and no substrate. All these species will live on FD bloodworms.

No, they aren't catfish but they don't mind very low light levels and a pair can be kept perennially in a small tank with regular water changes and no filters. Room temperatures are fine.
Actual neglect is not cool, but thousands of killifish breeders use the methods described although they usually at least have a lighted room and not a locker. But these fish will spawn in a plastic bag in complete darkness during shipping so the locker is not much of a stretch.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
sidguppy
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I'll reply to this for the last time.

I guess you people don't know what a footlocker is??
it's a metal wardrobe, kind of, in a place full of kids. a school or sportscenter.

wich means clanging doors, slamming doors, loads of noises and vibrations etc etc

Ever heard about the hearing abilities of catfishes?

add to this the sheer insanity of keeping a fish in a bucket or jarlike bowl after decades of desparate fishkeepers trying to convince other people that keepin g Goldfish in a bowl is not done, cause a pond or proper fishtank is so much more decent and ethical......

It is tantamount of giving the advice that keeping humans in a place like Gitmo is proper and can be done, since they don't die within 24 hours.....

I tell you this: ANYONE here with a serious reply to thisinsane plan should NEVER EVER reply to someone in the 'Big Cat' section cause some poster wants to keep a Red Tail or TSN in a 200G tank. not anymore!!!

cause if you DO; I'll brand you and expose you for the hypocrites you are.

count on it! :evil:

I mean really......people get their behinds flamed off on this forum when they try to keep -for example- a Pseudodoras niger or something in a 150-200G....and THIS INSANE PLAN gets serious replies and hints and tips??

You should be ashamed of yourself! I am shocked by the amount of hypocrisy and double standards on this very forum. it's revolting.
Valar Morghulis
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

Sid, I think you are being rather harsh on fellow PC members. Of course there is room for serious discussion about keeping fish in dark & confined conditions, but a school locker is certainly not the place to do so and I'm sure Mats & Larry would be the first to agree.

I have to wonder how much enjoyment anyone would get from keeping fish in a locker. I suspect the person who knifegill is referring to really just wants something 'cool' to impress their school friends with. But then how long will it be until some jerk finds out and thinks it's 'cool' to shake the locker up until water spills out?

If the person really wants to keep fish at school then they should talk to the science department about setting up a tank in a class room where it can be appreciated and learnt from.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Sid,

I think this discussion is purely hypothetical.

I don't think anyone (knifegill included) is seriously suggesting keeping a fish in a locker for the reasons you and everyone else has given.

However there is nothing wrong with TALKING about it.

Of course if someone says they will do it, then they should be advised not to.
bushynose_cory
Location 1: South Korea

Post by bushynose_cory »

Sid is cool :twisted: I respect him. There isn't more harm from telling other PC members the truth, because it is the TRUTH and they won't die of it.

Sid is concerned about the fishe's health, and to them it's a life-death problem.
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Post by grokefish »

I've got a warthog that I have kept in a whiskey barrel for 14 yrs and allow him to breath through a straw. His barrel is so full of shit now that you cannot tell what is shit and what is him. When we let him out the other day he was the same shape as the barrel and we laughed at him and forced him back in with a tazer gun then we banged on the barrel with a spade............
Fish in a locker? don't be daft.
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.

Return to “African Catfishes”