Long stringy poo

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Rod
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Interests: L number catfish

Long stringy poo

Post by Rod »

I have a tank with albino and common longfins. In the last month I have noticed all my fish have long stringy poo attached to them. The poo does not seem to break away, it looks like a tranparent tube (similar to a sausage skin) that has sections of brown poo than a gap with nothing then another section of brown poo.
Should I be worried about this? Is it a dietary thing? I feed them bloodworm, Zuchinni and various sinking pellets.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

Can you get any pics? it sounds like an internal parasite to me from the description, although its a little hard be definate,
Do they seem sunken in there bellys?
Rod
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Interests: L number catfish

Long stringy poo

Post by Rod »

Sorry, I am unable to do pics at the moment.
The gut on all fish are nice and plump as usual.
A friend of mine recommended me to try Prazi, so I medicated the tank last night following the manufacturers directions. I am aware Prazi on catfish is a contraversial topic however I am willing to take the risk. I am watching them intently, the tank not only has my albino and common longfins but also has some precious L066's, L333's and L104's. Basically my life would not be worth living if I lose them.
If I see any negative responses to the Prazi, I have RO water and carbon on standby.....not to mention 12 other tanks i can move them to.
PS. I would rather use F15, however could not get my hands on any.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

If there is squash in the tank at all times, it could be that. I notice the same thing. It depends on what they're eating. Just a thought.
Amanda
cristi_ionescu_79
Location 1: romania

Post by cristi_ionescu_79 »

my ancistrus has the same problem (long stringy poo). So, is it an internal parasite?
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

cristi_ionescu_79 wrote:my ancistrus has the same problem (long stringy poo). So, is it an internal parasite?
If it is clear or white and you cannt put it down to the food, then I would say yes, it is internal parasites.
The best option for IP that you are unclear of is either a course of flubenol 15 and interpet number 9 if you can or if not, flubenol 15 on its own

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”