My H.Zebra tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
martin808
Location 1: preston,england
Interests: fishing

My H.Zebra tank

Post by martin808 »

Hi,
This is my H.zebra tank, its a 125l jewel rio with an extra canister filter in ,BD sand,Blue stratta rock,a bit of drift wood and some penn plax silk plants.What do you think?I know its not exactly biotype but aquascaping is not my strong point :!: Do you think I will be able to add anymore :?:
"The best thing about being me is their are so many of me" Agent Smith.
oneoddfish
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: detroit,michigan
Interests: large cats-odd balls-I also breed alot of different african cichlid. but my favorite thing is collecting RARE or very hard to obtain fish...

zebra tank

Post by oneoddfish »

most important is what kind of fish do you want to add? If you'r trying to breed you'r zebra's maybe you don't want any other fish in there tank..The tank and fish look really nice!
what's the matter?---cat got you'r tongue.

Jerry L Brown
Graeme
Location 2: Newcastle, England

Post by Graeme »

An inportant answer is Yes very nice tank!! Take your time in adding fish. :D

Nice set up!....Lovely!

Graeme.
batho
Location 1: Stoke-on-Trent, England
Interests: Catfish

Post by batho »

martin808,

What is BD sand.

I am keeping several species of Pl*cos in a tank (L205, L141, Bristlenose) and am using small pebbles. Would sand be any benefit?

Steve
PhilipAsh
Location 1: Nottingham, UK

Post by PhilipAsh »

Batho,

BD sand, is a brand of sand packaged for aquarium use.
It doesnt compact down like many sands can do, which causes anaerobic spots and nasty gases.
I have been using it for nearly 2 years in my Zebra tank with great success.

Phil.
SynoPetri
Location 1: Bairisch Kölldorf, Austria
Interests: athletics

Post by SynoPetri »

Hi Martin,

nice set up. I like these fish. How many of them are in the tank?
Georg
martin808

Post by martin808 »

Hi georg,
I have 4 zebras in the tank at the moment ,Im thinking of adding more if I can find them at a good price.I havent seen any recently on my travels if anyone knows anywhere post a reply.
If I did manage to find some more does anyone think they will fight with the existing ones when added?Also what kind of growth rate should I be aiming for?
I dont know if anyone seen my previous post on my zebras losing there tails but if anyone is intrested they have all now regained there beautifull tails
PhilipAsh
Location 1: Nottingham, UK

Post by PhilipAsh »

Martin,

I guess it depends on your idea of reasonable, but there are several shops around the East Midlands that have stocks. Prices start from 40 gbp and rise to 50 gbp.

I don't remember the thread about lost fins, what happenend?
(Maybe point me to the original thread and then tell me how you solved it?)

Many thanks

Phil
SynoPetri

Post by SynoPetri »

In Austria they are at about 70 €.
Georg
martin808

Post by martin808 »

Hi Phillip,
My first thread is on page three of the South American Catfish section about two thirds down called "Zebra pleco more problems".About a month after buying them one by one they started to loose the tip of the caudal fins and one even had a wound on his dorsal,
I added some King british fin clear and the wound got better but it has been a slow process regaining the caudal fin.The advice I got was to raise the temp to 86of and try varying the diet,so the temp went up but they still refuse to eat anything else than bloodworm, artemia and a bit of tetra prima.They are now feeding twice a day and rearly hide unless someone quickly enters the room :!: Which Im very happy about as all the text you read says they are very secretive fish. :D
SynoPetri

Post by SynoPetri »

Hey Martin, what do you feed your Hypancistrus?
Georg
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

I'm sorry it took me so long to notice this post. From what I have heard, you really need a moderately strong current to breed zebras. This might cause a problem with the sand and the plants. In addition, the strong current may also make it difficult to feed the fish. I have to turn my current off when I feed them frozen food.
Just for reference, I feed mine Frozen Bloodworms, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Frozen Beef Heart, and sinking bottom feeder tablets. I also used to feed them algae tablets about once every week or two, but quit after I ran out.
The tank looks nice though :D
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us

Return to “Tank Talk”