Tips for moving fry?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
corywink
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Toronto, Canada
Interests: corydoras!

Tips for moving fry?

Post by corywink »

Any tips on catching fry? I need to move some larger panda fry, that have started to eat dried foods, out of the breeding box and move them into their own tank.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

You could try a gravy spoon. However, do remember to get the wife out of the house first :lol:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I use a 3 ounce cup made for the bathroom(I use one that hasn't been used previously). This is for the very small fry. Some folks use turkey basters, but I've had problems with those: the fry sometimes die.
Amanda
sabbath
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Milford, CT
Location 2: Milford, CT

Post by sabbath »

I usually collect the fry from the cave with a turkey baster, just before they are ready to free-swim.

If they are cories, I remove the eggs from the glass with a razor blade, and hatch them in the fry box.

I then use flow-through fry boxes, that are fed fresh water by sponge filters. I can grow fry out to a pretty sturdy size in them, and when I want to move them to a tank, I just lift and pour! I can post pics if you like.

Rich
NEONCORY
My cats species list: 18 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: seattle WA USA

Re: Tips for moving fry?

Post by NEONCORY »

corywink wrote:Any tips on catching fry? I need to move some larger panda fry, that have started to eat dried foods, out of the breeding box and move them into their own tank.
What size are you talking about?

Since I am not exactly sure when they start eat deied food. I move wigglers and probably up to week old with turkey baster. And I try not to move until they grow to 1/2"TL and 1/4"D about 6~7 weeks old.
And try to catch them with stick on one hand and the small net on the other hand. place the net on the bottom and one side of the tank and with stick try to chase them into the net. They can be quick :shock: and hate to be captured. :wink: I also take as much water as possible out before try to catch them. Take like 50% out and do the water change as well after you catch them .
That's make me remind that I have to do that in a week or 2 since I see some become that size. Look like miniature Pandas and hopping around.
tcaquati

Post by tcaquati »

We use turkey basters. I would love to see the flow through bow you are using. Thanks Chad
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

To move fry I quite often use a simple drinking straw,it takes a short while to get the timing right(with your finger) but I find it quick and gentle.this is only good for small fry and a wider straw is better,of course this would be too time consuming for large amounts of fry.

Birger
saphphx
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Barrow, England

Post by saphphx »

Bas Pels wrote:You could try a gravy spoon. However, do remember to get the wife out of the house first :lol:
lol this reminds me of when my husband came home one day to go "Um. Is there a fork in your fish tank?"

I couldn't find anything to hold the cucumber down, and the cucumber was eaten so fast I forgot about getting the fork out before he came home :P

I use a turkey baster though :P
I cuddle pacu.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”