Catching Large Fish

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
paul_southend2k
Location 1: Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
Interests: Tropical Fish, Cars, People

Catching Large Fish

Post by paul_southend2k »

I have 3 Large Puntius Denisonii in a Jewel Rekord 120 but i am having problems catching them. any ideas??
Rio 180 - new setup 9/4/07

Rekord 120 - 3 Redline Barbs,4 Clown Loach,2 SAE,1 Kissing Gourmai,7 Rummynose Tetras,1 Flame Tetra,4 Cherry Barbs,2 Clown Pl*cos.

60cm tank - 2 SAE,10 Cardinal Tetras,2 Peppered Corys,1 Red Phantom Tetra,5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,3 High-Spot Rasboras,1 Male Krib & 4 False Cuckoo Catfish
snowball
I've donated: $40.00!
My cats species list: 47 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:16)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Sydney
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Plotosidae

Post by snowball »

I caught five of them out of my 300l tank, I had to take out all the big bits of wood and drop the water to less than half. All I can say is good luck!
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

With Puntius, I would drop the water to just a few inches. These things can jump like a missile!
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Further to lowering the water levce, using a sheet of some sort (perspex, plywood, cardboard) that fits tight [1] along the edge of the tank can help "heard" the fishes to a smaller area of the tank, making the capture much easier.

[1] Tight enough that the fish can't get past - it doesn't have to be WATER TIGHT tho'.

--
Mats
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Lower the water as stated and use two large nets. Use one to herd them into the other. I like these a lot for the fish room. They do not hold up on collecting trips however.
-Shane
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A ... nc.&page=1
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
snowball

Post by snowball »

Further to Shane's point on their hardiness or lack thereof, I've seen myself and heard from a few others that these fish can drop dead during transport, possibly as a result of acidosis. This tends to occur when the fish are roughly handled or otherwise unduly stressed.

When I got rid of my five I took my time to catch them and did the herding trick with a pair of big nets. I tried not to chase them, rather I would wait until they passed between the nets and then slowly close the door on them, getting them one at a time. I also put them in an extra large bag with plenty of water, and transported it in a dark bag.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

snowball wrote:Further to Shane's point on their hardiness or lack thereof, I've seen myself and heard from a few others that these fish can drop dead during transport, possibly as a result of acidosis. This tends to occur when the fish are roughly handled or otherwise unduly stressed.
I think Shane's comments on hardiness was referring to the nets that he was recommending (or NOT recommending if you're going collecting in South America), rather than the fishes.

--
Mats
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

pturley wrote: These things can jump like a missile!
Say no more! I'll have the same troubles shortly when I (have to) get the Leptobarbus hoevenii out of the tank.
These fish are easily scared: you only have to look at the tank and they dart off in miniature sand storms. Strictly bottom orientated and I have enough fishes living on or near the bottom. Not any good as dither fish and that was the only reason I purchased them....
Luckily next week will be a holiday week.
paul_southend2k

Thank you for all your replys, i like all the advice and tips, problem is i cant lower the level to much as have other fish in the tank. I need to catch the 3 redlines and 4 clown loaches and put them into a larger tank i have set up along side....its been running for about 4 weeks now.

Is it ok to just catch them and put them in the new tank without baging them up and floating/adding water??

Ive tested the water and they have the same 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 20-30 nitrate...

Rekord 120 - 3 Redline Barbs,4 Clown Loach,2 SAE,1 Kissing Gourmai,7 Rummynose Tetras,1 Flame Tetra,4 Cherry Barbs,2 Clown Pl*cos.

60cm tank - 2 SAE,10 Cardinal Tetras,2 Peppered Corys,1 Red Phantom Tetra,5 Bleeding Heart Tetras,3 High-Spot Rasboras,1 Male Krib & 4 False Cuckoo Catfish
snowball

Post by snowball »

MatsP wrote:I think Shane's comments on hardiness was referring to the nets that he was recommending (or NOT recommending if you're going collecting in South America), rather than the fishes. --
Mats
Indeed, the link to the nets makes more sense in that light! :oops:

paul_southend2k wrote:Is it ok to just catch them and put them in the new tank without baging them up and floating/adding water??
As long as the pH and temperature are similar, that would certainly be the best way to move them.
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

paul_southend2k wrote:Thank you for all your replys, i like all the advice and tips, problem is i cant lower the level to much as have other fish in the tank.
And why does this mean you can't lower the water level? Of course, it's a bit more trouble-some when you have other fish in there. Just do it at the same time as you do a water change, and if you do MUCH more water than a normal water change, just save some of the "old" water in a tub of some sort, then fill it back from the tub and top up as if you did a water-change. Fish won't be harmed, I can assure you [as long as you don't leave the tank with half the water for VERY long - like days, and you would of course need to turn the heater back on before it goes too cold].
Is it ok to just catch them and put them in the new tank without baging them up and floating/adding water??
If the water is same pH and hardness, yes, shouldn't be a problem. Of course, it's also helpfull if they are close together so you don't have to carry the fish for a long time in the net, as that can cause problems. But if it's a few steps, no problem.

--
Mats
paul_southend2k

Moved the 3 fish today, lowered the water to about 4-5 inches and as soon as the net hit the water all hell let loose! They must have remembered from last time! I had one and it jumper out of the water and hit the glass down the other end of the tank a meter long! Still after 5 mins got the three of them into the new tank and they are enjoying the extra space.

Will post pictures soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

paul_southend2k wrote:
I had one and it jumper out of the water and hit the glass down the other end of the tank a meter long!
It's not rude in the UK to say "I told you so" is it :?:
Good to hear the move went OK.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

Return to “Tank Talk”