Tank placement for LARGE tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

Tank placement for LARGE tank

Post by catdoc »

There's a local auction tomorrow, mostly building materials/contractors' supplies. For some reason, there is a large aquarium and stand also on their schedule. I did a keyword search ("aquarium" of course!) on our local paper's online classified ads and dug it up that way. I'm really hoping that b/c it's buried with so many storage barrels, pipes, wrenches, and other builder's miscellany, that it gets overlooked by any other aquarists. On the other hand, I'm not sure where I'd put a 150 gallon tank. Do you need special reinforcement for something of that size? We live in a 2-story with a basement. Would the basement be the best place for it? Along an exterior wall? Wish me luck on the bidding and let me know what to do with it on the off chance that I bring it home! I'm already imaging what I could do with it.... :razz:

Christy
Ben
Location 1: PEI, Canada
Interests: Fish, Computers, Comic Books, Nature

Post by Ben »

a lot depends on the construction of you house. Any newer house should be fine anywhere, as long as you are spanning at least 1 floor joist, preferable 2. Beside a restraining wall is always a good spot. The way I think about it, is like a couch. If you have 4 big guys on a couch, you aren't going to fall through the floor, even though they weight upwards of 1000LBS.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:10, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

There's a previous thread on this subject:
http://www.forum.planetcatfish.com/viewtopic.php?t=920

Dinyar
Harley
Location 1: Umeå, Sweden

Post by Harley »

i hope it goes well for you with the bidding =) *fingers crossed*

let us know how it goes !
catdoc
Location 1: southern Indiana

Post by catdoc »

Didn't end up bidding on the tank after I saw it. It obviously had sat in storage for a long time and I was unable to get any info as to it's condition (short of what I could see). I did learn that I really want one though! Maybe not right away, but sooner or later I'm going to get one. I've been searching all of the online classifies within a 2 hour's drive to see what I can find used. Also going to venture to my LFS and see what I can learn re: new vs used.

Christy

Return to “Tank Talk”