Fimo polymer clay

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

Fimo polymer clay

Post by chris 1 »

I have come across a product called Fimo polymer clay.
It's available in many colours and some natural looking stone shades. Once the right shape has been made it can be fired in a conventional oven at 130' C.
Has anyone tried this before? It looks ideal for making caves etc. As it's aimed at children, I'm guessing that it is quite a safe product but not sure if it would leach any substances once submerged.
Any thoughts?
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I tried to look in to low-burn clays for making caves earlier, but could never get a clear answer.
Anyway, it seems low-burning clays are entirely or partly plastic, which makes me suspect they're safe from a chemical POV, but some pottery hobbyists I talked to doubted that they would hold together for long when permanently immersed in water.

I eventually ended up making my caves from slate, which I scoured and cracked into suitable pieces, which I then glued together with black silicone.
chris 1

Post by chris 1 »

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right to stay with natural materials. I posted same question today on plecofanatics and one of the answers raised the subject of a plec rasping on the material and ingesting polymers!! Better safe than sorry.
hellocatfish
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Mid-Atlantic Region, USA

Post by hellocatfish »

I'm an artist and have scuplted using these clays, particular the one going by the brand name of "Sculpey". When baking, these clays can release toxic gases so it's advised to not use the oven that you do your regular baking in. Of course, most people don't just have a spare oven sitting around and do use their regular ovens and do what they can to ventilate the fumes and clean up afterwards.

The problem I have encountered is that the finished product can be brittle and prone to breaking apart at places where one piece is joined to the other by squishing together.

I have quit sculpting with polymer clays because of concerns about possible health hazards from pthalates released during the baking process. I'm really sensitive to chemicals.

If you feel that the risk is small for a one-time project, here is a web link I found for you --the only one I could find, that may help you out in regards to use of polymer clays for aquatic use. Good luck!

http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/cl ... s_test.htm
Tanks: SeaClear Acrylic 40 US gallons, Eheim Ecco 2236, Eheim Classic 2215, Fine gravel & EcoComplete: 3 Albino Aeneus, 4 Green Aeneus (NOT Brochis) 6 Peppers, 3 Sterba, 1 Elegans, 10 Danios, 3 panda cories, 1 cichlid.

5 gal betta tank: 1 male betta

50 gallon SeaClear Eheim 2213, Eheim 2215, fine gravel: 3 baby goldfish (2 Moors, 1 Oranda in QT)
chris 1

Post by chris 1 »

Thanks hellocatfish. I think I will give it a go but place the cave in a bucket for a couple of months and monitor the water.

Return to “Tank Talk”