breeding oto cats

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Actually, thinking about it (a bit more), you probably want to go for quite dramatic changes if you want to trigger breeding - go for 20-30% per day for a few days, monitor the KH as you go, and maintain it at 50-80ppm when you reach it.

--
Mats
huk chun chu
Location 1: Ont. Canada

Post by huk chun chu »

OK Mats . It sounds like a good plan to me.I will start first thing in the morning with a 25% water change & go from there.I will keep you informed of my success if all goes well. Thanks.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

He Becky,
Super congrats are in order for breeding Zebra Otos, a most attractive species.

In general breeding Otos seems to be a combination of using the right water, triggering techniques and a good portion of good fortune.

I like the approach using some Corydoras pygmeus as companions. I think, if you can find them, Corydoras hastatus might also be a good choice. In either case both the Otos and or the dwarf Corys might spawn with neither posing a threat to each other's production.

I have a single pair of a brown and gold spotted Parotocinclus I would sure like to see spawn. I was only able to find them in groups of P. jumbo.

I agree that soft water will greatly improve the chances and fortunately Otos don't need very large aquariums so high volume RO/DI easily produce enough pure water. It is a shame that they are so inefficient but they are our best tools for the job.

I seem to prefer SA softwater fishes do I did buy a unit rated for 60 gals/day(US gallons). I hated to have to invest in it but in the end, I'm glad I did.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
huk chun chu

Post by huk chun chu »

I started my rain water changes Sat.am.
KH was 170 to start.
day 1=KH.130 (sat.)
day 2=KH.100 (sun.)
I did all changes at a rate of 25%.I will do another change Mon. am. Once the KH. is between 50 & 80 how often should I then do the water changes? I also assume that to avoid the KH. from going lower I should probably mix the rain water with my filtered tap water.What would be a suggested mix,50-50? Also to help induce the spawning is there a recommended temp. to keep the tank at?
huk chun chu

Post by huk chun chu »

Added to my last post is day 3 (mon.) water change.The KH.is now 80.
Another question to add to my last post is.How long is rainwater viable when kept in a 30 gal. bucket with no airation,is it best to leave outside were the temp. is cooler or does it matter?
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

If I were you...
I'd maintain a temperature of about 27C, and make sure the water I changed with had a temperature of 20-22C.

I'd do daily water changes for two weeks. If nothing had happened at the end of that period, I'd not do water changes for two weeks, then repeat the water changing.

I'd mix 3 or 4 parts RO water with 1 part tapwater.

If the rainwater is clean it wont spoil regardless how long it is stored. If it is not so clean you may have a problem.

It's been mentioned in this thread, but I want to reinforce it: I think you will find that you *need* to have breeding Corydoras in the same tank, or the Otos wont spawn, no matter what you do.
To the best of my knowledge Otos have never been bred without breeding Corydoras in the same aquarium. Why otos apparently use the spawning of cories as trigger for their own spawn is a mystery, not to mention unique among all known fish species in the world!, but it does seem to be the case.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”