Brazilian Red Jewel

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
SuperMom
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: New York

Brazilian Red Jewel

Post by SuperMom »

I have three Brazilian Red Jewels. Well had three.
I just came home to find one at the bottom of the tank, white and dead.

This is not the first time this has happened. In the past year I have lost two others. I gave up on them.

Then I got a little one and he's fine, about 3months I've had him. Then I got two nice size ones and it's been two weeks and now one of the big ones has died.

Is there something special or special care for this type of plecos?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Supermom,
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum that says, "BEFORE you post in this forum, read THIS!" Help us help you.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
SuperMom
My images: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: New York

Post by SuperMom »

Thanks!

Panaque sp. cf. nigrolineatus`xingu` Is the proper name of my pleco

125 gal
ph 6.8
80 degrees
2 Eheim canister filter
1715 and 1713
Three bridges
One large drift wood
One large plant (changed all the time because my plecos are eating it)
Feed once a day (varity blend, shrimp, dried blood worms, and algie wafers every two days)
Tank has been set up about a year

I think that's all the info mentioned in the sticky.
The only thing I'm going to do after work today is stop and get a nitrate kit? from what I read here it looks like I havent been doing this and it's an important factor. Like I mentioned in a different post. I'm pretty new at this. Glad I found you guys so I can learn.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

You need a Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia test kit (either three individual test-kits or one "multi-test" kit - the multi-tests can be three or more test sets, depending on the supplier, and it's often less expensive to buy one Multi-kit than three individual test kits).

I would also think that feeding your P. nigrolineatus a bit of less protein and more fibre would be a good thing - for example some zucchini, beans or melon-rind. See the "Article" at the bottom of this post - it has lots of suggestions for feeding herbivores/wood eaters. The fact that the fish is eating your plant(s) is also an indication that they are not getting enough vegetable/fibre food.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”