Puzzled about name of common Chaetostoma

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Can you imagine if we changed our names that often? :lol: When I went to purchase frozen food two weeks ago in my local PetSmart, the help was placing blanched zucchini in the appropriate tanks.
Amanda
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:237, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:10, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I have now added an entry for and our common hobby species is .

This could do with some detail in the catelog if anyone (Shane?) wants to do a bit of work in the genus?

Jools
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I like that move, Jools. :D I believe "bigd762" is on his/her second brood at this time. Which Chaetostoma spp., I do not know. I know how difficult it is to photo these guys. You think they're calm, then they're off to the races doing laps. Or, hiding in an inaccessible place, turning many shades of stressed-out argyle.
Amanda
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Can you imagine if we changed our names that often?
Amanda,
Actually, it is not a case of changing names with Chaetostoma. Very little work has been done on this genus despite the fact that, when all is said and done, it will likely be the second largest genus of the family. The name changing will not come until the genus actually gets someone working on it!

The issues with Chaetostoma are several: 1) There are many "accepted" incorrect identifications in the hobby. For how many years were we sure the common twig cat was Farlowella acus, the blue eyed pleco Panaque suttonorum, etc, etc. It has only been in the last few years that hobbyists have started spending more time in the field than many scientists and checking what they collect against the published scientific data. 2) We also now realize that many, many spp are actually undescribed. Instead of trying to match up pet store fishes with already published data, we are collecting our own (or demanding collection data from importers) and realizing that much of what is out there is new. There are still some large exceptions to this (with all due respect, especially in the German-speaking hobby; the people that brought us L Numbers because everything MUST have a name), but many aquarists are happy now having "Chaetostoma sp 1" and waiting for the data to be fully researched then demanding that their animal be matched to an already described sp., even if it is just a guess.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Days like this, I wish a was an Ichthyologist. I find this genus fascinating, all around. I wish more people did. I'm keeping notes on the Chaetostoma sp. I still have. Thank you, as usual, Shane! :D
Amanda
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

If anyone keeping notes (Amanda or anyone else) feels that they have useful information on [clog}Chaetostoma[/clog] that isn't in the Cat-eLog, then please can you post in the "Bugs forum". I can then enter it into the Cat-eLog, and everyone will have more useful info... [This obviously applies to any other species of fish you're keeping...]

--
Mats
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I'll go through my notes tonight, Mats! :D
Amanda
bigd762
Location 1: camano island, wa

Post by bigd762 »

My Chaetostoma group was from petsmart and they now have had 2 batches of eggs this year. I now have 21 fry in there 55 gal with the 3 adults. Everytine I go to Petsmart to get food I check and they always have mix Chaetostoma in a tank. One day they had 1 great looking oddball and now I which I would have got it but at the time I said I did't need more fish. Petsmart around here only sells them for 3.50 and my LFS if they have 1 they sell them for 9.99 I try to get pics of my adults soon. Plus my female is really plump again. I have noticed that some fry are light in color and some are a lot darker.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

bigd762 wrote:My Chaetostoma group was from petsmart and they now have had 2 batches of eggs this year. I now have 21 fry in there 55 gal with the 3 adults. Everytine I go to Petsmart to get food I check and they always have mix Chaetostoma in a tank. One day they had 1 great looking oddball and now I which I would have got it but at the time I said I did't need more fish. Petsmart around here only sells them for 3.50 and my LFS if they have 1 they sell them for 9.99 I try to get pics of my adults soon. Plus my female is really plump again. I have noticed that some fry are light in color and some are a lot darker.
I'd say we have very similar situations for fish purchasing, with identical pricing. The tank is labeled "Rubberlipped Pl*co" and a multitude of species may be in there, along with Angelfish. If you have a digital camera, please look for the "macro" function. Most newer digital cameras have them. This makes a difference. On my camera it's a little flower icon. I don't know if all manufacturers use this same symbol. This feature is meant to help you take photos of things like flowers and such up close. But, it works very well with fish, too. I know how frustrating it is trying to get those first few good photos! :wink:
Amanda
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Post by Deb »

A fascinating group of fish, and one that has long held my interest. Question for Shane: would it be premature to arrange to have the name changed from C. cf. thomsoni to C. sp.(1) in this article?
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Chae ... omsoni.php

How official is the name designation in the cat-e-log?

Deborah

:D Amanda and bigd, same pricing and availability around here. Cheap and always available at PetSmart; $8.99 or more (US) at LFS and rarely available - in fact, I've only seen one twice.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:75, k:0)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Until we get a proper ID (or it is described, whichever the case may be) yes.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
sabbath
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Milford, CT
Location 2: Milford, CT

Post by sabbath »

[quote="bigd762"]My Chaetostoma group was from petsmart and they now have had 2 batches of eggs this year. I now have 21 fry in there 55 gal with the 3 adults. Everytine I go to Petsmart to get food I check and they always have mix Chaetostoma in a tank. One day they had 1 great looking oddball and now I which I would have got it but at the time I said I did't need more fish. Petsmart around here only sells them for 3.50 and my LFS if they have 1 they sell them for 9.99 I try to get pics of my adults soon. Plus my female is really plump again. I have noticed that some fry are light in color and some are a lot darker.[/quote]

Anyway you could post some breeding info?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”