just baught an asian bumblebee catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Asia.
VampirePlec
Location 1: Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Interests: catfish, drawing, painting.

just baught an asian bumblebee catfish

Post by VampirePlec »

hi everyone! i am new to this forum, tho am always visiting PC, you may have also seen me on TFF.
anyways i got a beautiful bumblebee catfish about a week ago. when i first got im i saw him eating frozen foods, then i got him his own cave n i have never seen him come out to get his own food, n the 3 little guppys in the tank (that i ohnestly didnt expect to still be there, but unfortunanly i have no where else to house them atm) eat all the food before the bumblebee can get to it. i have sliped food into his cave, but cant see if he is eating it. the first night he was here he was in a tank with fatty, my salmontailed catfish (both being 2 in in size i thought this would be ok) but got up in the morning n some of fattys fins were missing, will they grow back? they arnt bad tho its taken her a few days she is swimming circles in the mirror, wich is her fav thing to do. please help!
thanks in advanse ally.
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Hi there

Asian Bumblebee is quite a generic name that could apply to a number of species but widely used for Pseudomystus siamensis or P.stenomus ( a photo would help us positively ID your fish). Siamensis is particularly light-shy although both appreciate some cover, so a cave hidey-hole is where it'll end up & not be seen too often until settled or feeding.

Pellet or tablet food introduced after lights out, that sinks is the best option in the early days to ensure some food is available. Does it look well fed or skinny with a hollow-belly?

The fins on your other catfish should grow back without too much problem providing it is not repeatedly harrassed by the new introduction - is there enough territory available for both?

The siamensis can be a little rough on other catfish but certainly not as bad as some others but giving advice is really best done if we have a correct ID

Keep us posted

Richard B
VampirePlec
Location 1: Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Interests: catfish, drawing, painting.

Post by VampirePlec »

he is an asian bumblebee, a leiocassis siamesis, as far as i know, thats just what i was told so it cauld be wrong. i cant get a picture for a few weeks but i will post it when i do. they are both now in seperate tanks. he does look well, i put some frozen comunity feast in his cave and that appears to be eatin, but im not sure if one of the guppies go in there n tried to eat it, cause there was one dead in there, or maybe he went on his own hunt?
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

he is an asian bumblebee, a leiocassis siamesis
That is now a synonym (old name) for

Birger

[Mod edit: Use persistant link -- Mats]
Occellatus
My images: 2
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Singapore

Post by Occellatus »

Hi guys....I just got myself a Pseudomystus Siamensis as well.....have not provided cover for it as yet. Its like hiding at the soffit of one of my internal pump now. I've been feeding it Hikari Sinking Carnivore pellet....have not seen it take yet. Hopefully it will....

Did a search on the cat e-log and found some pics of the fish....real nice specimens i would say.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I think that by providing cover you will have more chances of it starting to eat - and survive.

What cover? Any cover
AngelicusFish
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: USA
Interests: cheetahs,and catfish

Post by AngelicusFish »

Can you post a pic of it???
I have one catfish and it a Pimelodus Pictus.

Return to “Asian Catfishes”