Cat to go with my birchir?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
SWEEP
Location 1: ENGLAND

Cat to go with my birchir?

Post by SWEEP »

Hi.

I have a slendid Saddle Birchir at present about 8 inches long and am looking for a cat to go with him.
I have a striped Dorid in my middle tank but he is only a few inches at present and i am just enjoying him (that's on the odd occasion i see him)
Its a 90 gallon tank so i do not want much in excess of say 12-15 inches although i know that alot of 24 inch cats quoted will probably only get max to that size in captivity. So am probabl loking for a quoted 2ft or less cat.
I would like to see it and am looking at the Giraffe cat but i am open to suggestions
I am not veru clued up on cats so would appreciate advice.
Thankyou very much
TalenT
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Europe

Post by TalenT »

Do you have a latin name for "saddle bichir"?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Possibly: Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri which I found as "Saddled bichir".

--
Mats
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I don't know much about Polypterus or their temperament, but i do know that a giraffe catfish () in a 90g tank is a bad idea.

These fish will get up to 24"+ very quickly. One for the pond only really.

Providing they are compatible, why not try the dwarf giraffe catfish (). All the appeal of its larger cousin, but at a size that is perfect for your tank. You could even have a small group.

:D
SWEEP

Post by SWEEP »

Yes. I did mean the Dwarf Giraffe but missed the Dwarf bit (a small error....Sorry could not resist :D )

That seems fine then.

Just looked at the Bigger version....I think not rather to big.

SWEEP

Post by SWEEP »

I seem to have major problems getting hold of one, has anybody got any suggestions for another species.
Being a newbie these cats are a minefield.

Help! :cry:
racoll

Post by racoll »

Where are you based?

My LFS (Maidenhead Aquatics @ Oxford) had some a few weeks back. They may still have some, or be able to order some more in.

01865 876516

http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/store_detai ... storeid=32
SWEEP

Post by SWEEP »

Thanks.
But after a long look, the Wife (who loves Tropical like me) decided she did not like them anyway :?

I was going to say 'T*p*c*l W*m*N' but might get into trouble with some of our ladies on here.
So now back in the Market for one but i have the go ahead for anything but the Giraffe.

Sorry Racoll , but thanks anyway for your kind information :)
racoll

Post by racoll »

Know the feeling :roll:

How about a ?
SWEEP

Post by SWEEP »

Yes the Angelicus looks Nice and does not get too big and seems fairly peaceful.
Will look into it.Thanks
racoll

Post by racoll »

As far as I know they are not that peaceful! One of the more aggressive synos.

Have a read of this article by Jools for PFK.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Wich is an add when it comes to Bichirs.

I've seen 5" ornate Bichirs (polypterus ornatipinnis) maul 2" synodontis nigriventris to death.
the spines didn't faze them at all; they just grab a cat and swing their snakelike heads and most of all didn't let go.

the catfish suffered through the ordeal and the LFs -wich didn't listen when I warned them of the situation- lost several Upsidedowners before the dime dropped and they finally separated the small Syno's from the voracious Bichirs.

I keep a 8" Ornate Bichir in a tank with 2 adult fully grown Axolotls and 2 Aussie Yabby's (freshwater lobsters, fairly big) at work. axoltls are "freshwater sharks" and will attack anything! those 4" lobsters aren't wussy's either, the pincers pack a mean nip.

however the Bichir rules that tank!

you want cats in with a Bichir; get nasty ones; angelicus, schall etc. and make sure they are similar sized.

maybe other Bichirs are less nasty than juvenile ornate Bichirs. I have seen enough of Bichirs to assume that they get less agressive when big and also that some species (like the bland green one) are far less nasty than others.

Still it's one heck of a carnivore and it also feeds on carrion. turning a live unedible spiny catfish into a dead one (=carrion!) is one way to get extra food.

the only exception from the Polypteridae wich is quite docile and only feeds on small fish is Erpetoichthys calabaricus; the Rope Fish or bichir-Eel. that's a nice one that even can be kept in a group or as a pair. most Bichirs are fairly territorial and harass each other 24/7.
they need big tanks too; there's NO such thing as a "dwarf Bichir" I'm afraid.
Valar Morghulis
SWEEP

Post by SWEEP »

Hi

I have a 'Saddle' Birchir on its way monday, is it that much of a Nutter?

Return to “Speak Easy”