Hybreed synos ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Vargur
Location 1: Iceland

Hybreed synos ?

Post by Vargur »

I have been reading lot on hybreed Synodontis catfishes and was just wondering why they are so common. How come ? Are they so easy to make or what ?
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Hi,
I'm not being lazy but I should hit the sack. So here's a DIY tip: click the search button (top menu bar) and search for hybrids. Plenty of hits :wink:
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Hi there

Hybrids come into being in one of three ways...

1 - there is a remote possibility it occurrs naturally, there are examples in Corydoras & it may be a possibility but it's not the stuff we're generally on about in these forums.

2 - commercial breeders try to create something a bit different. Fine if that's your thing & fish are clearly labelled as such

3 - commercial breeders create cross bred fish where they get many young from difficult to breed species & they enter the trade as the genuine thing, fooling unsuspecting purchasers. Typically this has happened to the Tanganyikan species; granulosus, multipunctatus & petricola. Granulosus are expensive & only produce a few eggs so a tidy profit can be made by selling easy to produce hybrids as the genuine article.

The above is a quick generalisation as petricolas (now Lucipinnis) & multipunctatus are fairly easy to breed if you know what you're doing.

All the best

Richard B
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think Richard hits the nail on the head with the reason for their existance being either "Something different" or "Lookalike to an expensive/hard-to-breed" species.

They are not really easy to create (as far as I understand), as it takes having access to certain hormones and injecting those into the fish, which of course isn't necessarily something you can achieve "at home". But professional breeders with low-levels of scruples can certainly achieve this.

--
Mats

Return to “African Catfishes”