eggbound cory ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
flash
Location 1: yorkshire
Interests: fish

eggbound cory ?

Post by flash »

Hi all
i have a group of wild shwartzi .they are well over a year old and have never spawned earlyer today i noticed one of the females was in the corner on her own and very still. at close inspection she looks fatter than the rest and is very red around the vent .
could she be eggbound ?.i cant see it being a parasite as they have been in their own tank for many months now
any ideas flash
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I would not give up on the Corydoras schwartzi until you try a feeding regimen that consists of primarily a diet of live blackworms or any other worms you are able to culture in quantities. Live worms often are the key to inducing Corys to spawn. That said, C. schwartzi are not often bred. They seem to be among the most difficult Corys to breed. I would consider Corysdoras sterbai.They are attractive and not too hard to breed. The experienced gained may be of some help to you in spawning the schwartzi.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
flash
Location 1: yorkshire
Interests: fish

eggbound cory ?

Post by flash »

Hi larry
i already breed sterbi.trilineatus and harbrosus.(they help pay the bills)but for some reason the shwartzi wont spawn i now have a team of 10 wild adults bought from 2 sources when i got the second team home i put them in a small tank in my fishouse 24x12x12 and within a few days i found a few eggs .but they got eaten .in the uk live food can be hard to keep so i tend to use frozen bloodworm tubifex etc as well as flake and catfish pellets so i put the shwartzi on a mixed diet with weekly water changes .they grew well and got very fat after a couple of months i tried the cold water change method and even water changes from my sterbi tanks(it works for my harbrosus )but to no avail.but i will keep on trying

flash
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

I wish you success with breeding C.schwartzi. I also raise C. sterbai to help cover some of my expenses. I recently expanded my Cory "farm" to include dupicareous, C-121 burgessi II, erhardti, panda and habrosus. The duplicareous layed a few eggs but none of the others have yet and I have a long ways to go before I declare success with duplicareous.
You guys in the UK seem to lead in the breeding of Corys. I think that schwartzi present a worthy challenge for an accomplished Cory breeder such as yourself.
kuhni
Location 1: Hamilton Hill, Western Australia

Post by kuhni »

Have you been able to breed the C121?
They are without a doubt my favourite cory when it comes to looks. :)
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

My C-121 are my newest aquisition and although they are in good condition I have yet to set them up in their own tank, free of snails, for a spawning attempt. They presently share space with a group of L318 Plecos.
They are definitely an outstanding Cory. Their translucent operculum allows the red of their gills show through which only adds to their pretty colors.
The C. duplicareous have layed a few eggs but they also need their own special setup. I have a lot of snails infesting my holding tanks and I have been a little lazy about sterilizing and setting up the special breeding tanks. I'll report on any success I have in the furure.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”