cory substrate

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
flash
Location 1: yorkshire
Interests: fish

cory substrate

Post by flash »

hi all
i want to put sand in the bottom of my cory tanks im sure i read that you can use childrens play sand that you get in the diy stores .is this true?
cheers flash
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:5, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Play sand is ideal, it is smooth grained and will have to comply with stringent toy safety regulations to enable it to be used as a children's play item. It will need to be well washed to remove dust.

Ian
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I agree with Ian (not that there's any reason to doubt his word). Around 4 quid for a 25kg bag, although it's currently not quite in season [spring/summer is the season for play sand], so it may be best to call your local DIY shop before you travel there.

To give you an idea, I put 25kg sand in my large tank, and it's about 2" deep [got several digging species, including Satanoperca spp., so it's not causing gas buildup] and approx 2' x 2'. So if you lay it half an inch thick, you'd cover approx 15 sqft. Half an inch is sufficient for corys if you don't want plants in it as well.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”