Need Help for Water Condition for My Catfish!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Enantiopus_Melanogenys
Location 1: San Antonio, Texas
Interests: Tanganyika, Malawi, Victoria Cichlids, Madagasca, Catfish

Need Help for Water Condition for My Catfish!!!

Post by Enantiopus_Melanogenys »

Hello! Everyone :)
I have some Aspidoras, Brochis and Corydoras Wild Caught. I know that all Aspidoras, Brochis and Corydoras really need soft water ( acidic water ) especially they have just caught from Wild, but I live in San Antonio, Texas, so all my city water is very hard water ( alkaline water ). Some of my Aspidoras, Brochis and Corydoras were died because of the alkaline water in San Antonio, Texas, and I have tried too many ways to change the water from acidic water to alkaline water, but it is still alkaline. In San Antonio, Texas, the water is so hard ( so alkaline water ), and I think that it is too hard that why some of my catfish were died. I used to use peat and put some of them in my filter to let it change the water from alkaline to acid, but it still didn't work out. I also used Black Water chemical from Tetra Company to change the water from tape water to amazon water as possible as I can, but it still didn't work out either. I tried too many way to change the alkaline water to acidic water for all my lovely Catfish, but it still didn't work out. I am so tired for that right now. Some of fishstores in my city also sell soft water ( acidic water ), but I don't really want to buy from the fishstore, I really want to try to do by myself because of too many reasons, but the main thing is it is not easy to go to fishstores all the time when I really need to change the water for my tank, so I need to do all by myself, but I tried to many ways to do it, and it still didn't work out. Can someone help? I really need help. I will wait for the answers for all friends everyday. Please! help. Which way it is the easiest way to change the water condition from alkaline water to acidic water. I really don't want my lovely catfish die again and again everyday. My city, San Antonio, Texas is excellent for keeping African cichlids, salt water fish, and all kind of fish that really love alkaline water. Thank you very much again. :(
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Hi Enantiopus_Melanogenys.

Unfortunately your problem is shared by many people.

Forget what you hear about peat and water conditioners etc. As you have found, they will never be able to make your very hard water soft and acidic.

Basically you have a few choices....

1). Give up with wild Corydoras and buy tank bred stock.

2). Buy a reverse osmosis unit to provide you with the correct water. You can get these for approx $100 on ebay.

3). Set up a quarantine tank with soft RO water bought from the store, and gradually acclimate them to your water over several weeks/months with very small water changes. I haven't kept many Corydoras, so I don't know if this will work, but I suspect it will.

Also, have you looked at other reasons why your Corydoras might be dieing? If they have acclimated at the store over several weeks, why do they not do well in you tank?

Everything thing you need to know about changing your water chemistry is here

chris 1
I've donated: $50.00!
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: London. England

Post by chris 1 »

RO
tigertimtim
Location 1: east yorkshire, england

Post by tigertimtim »

i use rainwater,