Pseudacanthicus sp. (L273) titanicus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
costatus7
Location 1: Penzance, cornwall, u.k
Interests: Inventing, Surfing and keeping catfish

Pseudacanthicus sp. (L273) titanicus

Post by costatus7 »

Hello catfish keepers :D :D :D

What sort of temperature should you keep l273 at and how large do they normally get.
Thanks for any help

BEN
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

Already read the cat elog , but know people keep them with l25 and they prefer more than 23 also have read reports of them in water ranging 22 to 29.p.s cat elog does not state a size but from what i have read elsewhere they get to 30cm

ben :D
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

From the Cat-eLog

300mm (11.8") SL

Wels Atlas 2 says 26-30 C
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I've just updated the Cat-eLog temperature to match the other Rio Tocantins temperature of 23-27'C, although 26-30 is probably fine too.

Bear in mind that temperatures in the rivers in South America will vary more than two or four degrees, both during the day, between different areas of the river and during the year. [And of course, some fish dies during the hot dry season because the rivers get too hot for their wellbeing.

--
Mats
costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

o.k thanks for the info
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I've just updated the Cat-eLog temperature to match the other Rio Tocantins temperature of 23-27'C
Mats, The temp hasn't been updated yet. How long does it usually take? Did I read in another thread that there were problems with the cat-elog updating?

Also, I'm sure you are aware, but L273 is from the Tapajos rather than the Tocatins.

Most reports suggest this is a warm river, at least during the dry season when most data is taken.

As Mats says, there is not a marked seasonal variation.

I would agree with Wels Atlas II at 26-30C.

Perhaps keep at the higher end when you first get the fish, and then gradually drop it as the fish settles down over several months.

costatus7

Post by costatus7 »

keeping my tank at 28 at the moment would that be o.k for l273 or should i drop it a little.

ben :D
racoll

Post by racoll »

keeping my tank at 28 at the moment would that be o.k for l273 or should i drop it a little.

I would say that's a good temp.

I keep my L262 (which are caught at the same locality as L273) at 29/30C, and they're doing great.

When you do keep fish at these warmer temps, you must provide very good water circulation (powerheads and airstones).

You should notice low DO levels by monitoring the gill rate of the fish. Gill action should not be heavy or frantic.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

racoll wrote:
I've just updated the Cat-eLog temperature to match the other Rio Tocantins temperature of 23-27'C
Mats, The temp hasn't been updated yet. How long does it usually take? Did I read in another thread that there were problems with the cat-elog updating?
Depends on Jools really. I've got about 50 or so outstanding submissions, but sometimes Jools doesn't do them in order... And I've had days where I've submitted and Jools done them immediately - at other times he does them after a few days or a couple of weeks.

Also, I'm sure you are aware, but L273 is from the Tapajos rather than the Tocatins.
Indeed, it says Tapajos in the Cat-eLog, and that's what I went by - just me confusing the two similar names [well, they start and end with the same letter at least - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...]

Most reports suggest this is a warm river, at least during the dry season when most data is taken.

As Mats says, there is not a marked seasonal variation.
Actually, I did try to say that there IS a variation between "winter" and "summer", but then again, it's a few degrees C, not the 15 or more that we get here in England

I would agree with Wels Atlas II at 26-30C.

Perhaps keep at the higher end when you first get the fish, and then gradually drop it as the fish settles down over several months.

Agreed, higher temp at the introduction of the fish is a good thing.

--
Mats
racoll

Post by racoll »

Actually, I did try to say that there IS a variation between "winter" and "summer", but then again, it's a few degrees C, not the 15 or more that we get here in England

A while ago I found the monthly (average) weather data for Itaituba.

Unfortunately I can't find it again on the web, but luckily I did print it out.

September/October were the warmest months with a max (air temp) of 34C and a min of 22/23C.

February was the coolest wettest month with a max of 30C and a min of 22C.

Min temps were lowest in July at 21C, as there is the lowest cloud cover % in this month. Max temps were 33C, for the same reason.

It seems as there is a greater day/night variation than a seasonal one.

How closely water temps follow this pattern I can't be sure as many other factors are included, but I would expect variation to be even smaller.

synodontis
Location 1: London, England
Interests: rc helis, amateur mathematician

Post by synodontis »

out of interest, how much did you pay for this? Not so long ago they were in the £300 - £400 mark!!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”