xingu tips ?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
sazzy
Location 1: UK Sheffield

xingu tips ?

Post by sazzy »

hi i have got a newish xingu L27 at 3",
i just wondered if any one has any tips to keep him happy? i own commons aswell as him,
and have some bog wood,
i try to feed veg two times weekly and alternate day feed pellets waffers etc
any other advice would be helpful thanks :D
bagariusbagarius
Location 1: Connecticut

Post by bagariusbagarius »

we have an L 27 for five years now. I received her as a xmas gift as 3cm fry and she is now 14cm at least and quite massive. we have a few serious cautions regarding royals.

our female has been very territorial and also quite aggressive. she murdered two loracaii in our community tanks-
a big rhino cat and a mango cat bigger than she-and now lives only w/ tetras and armoured cats.

secondly they are HUGE waste producers. let me repeat that: HUGE !! waste proucers !! we recently moved her to a 65 galllon w/ overflows and a wet/dry and she still befouls the sponges more than all the previous occupants combined and we had four other loricai in there before her including a 28cm L001. before moving she was all alone in an eclipse 29 gallon and I was changing water twice a week to keep the 'sawdust' under control. she has completely devoured the first piece of wood we gave her and even at her size still vigorously grazes the several pieces of bogwood, driftwood and mangrove root in her tank.

in our experience, and this is only one speciman, we strongly suggest that you plan on keeping yours apart from other loricai and be prepared to put in the extra time necessary to keep a tidy tank.

other than that she is a lovely fish and has thrived. she is also, now that she's huge, not at all shy, allowing us ample time to admire her unlike many of our suckermouth friends.

we feed algae tabs pretty much daily.if you send a private email we will send a pic or two.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”