Catfish for my 100!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Gourami Swami
Location 1: NY, USA

Catfish for my 100!

Post by Gourami Swami »

Hello everyone, this is my first post!

Anyway, In 5 days I am setting up a standard 48x20x24 (100 gallon) for predatory oddballs and a few cichlids. I love big, cool cats, and I want some suggestions for this tank. The one I have seen around here and really want is the lima shovelnose cat. I know they can get in excess of 15 inches, do you think one would work? if not, what would you suggest? I want one that gets at least 8-9 inches, predatory is a plus.
Thanks!
Keeper of aggressive, predatory, and just plain weird fish!
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

Hi GS
Hello everyone, this is my first post!
and welcome to Planet Catfish :)

Just a couple of questions?

Can you put your location in your profile please.

Due to; If you reside in the UK and your aquaria is measured in inches
48" x 20" x 24" is roughly 85 gallons. If you see what I mean.

Either way it would limit your stock levels..
also Have you read the "Big Cat sticky" in this forum?
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
Gourami Swami

Post by Gourami Swami »

Thank you! I live in the USA and I thought I put it in my profile, I guess not...

It is 48"long, 20" wide, and 24" tall. I dont really see what you mean... it is a 100 gallon. Am I missing somethin?

Oh, and I have read the big cats sticky already. I dont plan on keeping REAL big cats, just as big as would be happy in my tank, around 12', though I have been told that a lima would be happy in my tank by other people, and I know they can get bigger.
George
Location 1: Reston, Virginia
Interests: fish

Post by George »

Limas are great predators. If it comes close to fitting in it's mouth, when the lights go off - it is gone. Limas are also fairly fragile so you will have to pick the other beasts carefully. I have a Lima in a 75 with some Satanaperca daemon. Everybody is happy and I don't think the Lima will out grow the tank. The little chocolate cicklids that live in there do tend to disappear though. I have lots so I just add more. The Lima is fat and happy. They are great fish.

I must agree - inches are inches and 100 gallons is 100 gallons. Maybe we are talking about imperial gallons or something?
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

UK gallons are different from US gallons.

1 US gallon is 0.83 UK gallons.

Also many also people assume volume from:

- External tank dimensions, not internal

- Water level will reach very top of tank.

- There will be no decor.

If you take these three things into account, a tank often has a significantly reduced volume (and therefore stocking capacity).
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Gourami Swami wrote:Thank you! I live in the USA and I thought I put it in my profile, I guess not...
So: Go to "Profile" on the top right of the screen and fill in which state you're in and USA... If you wish, you can be more specific (add the town), so that those who are more local can help by for example recommending shops, etc.

And yes, in the UK we use Imperial gallons (although we're technically supposed to be metric, I think...). The US, when they standardized liquid measures, for some obscure reason, decided to do a "half-metrification" so that a Pint of water is the same as a Pound of water. This means that a Pint is 16fl.oz, rather than the UK's 20fl.oz. So although the basic fl.oz measure is the same, any measure based on pints is 20% greater in the UK (so carefull when you buy several pints of beer in the UK if you're from the US - after four pints, you've actually had five of the US version).

--
Mats
medaka
Expert
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 5
My images: 66
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 28
Location 1: Runcorn.
Location 2: Cheshire.UK
Interests: Asiancatfish/corys

Post by medaka »

It is 48"long, 20" wide, and 24" tall. I dont really see what you mean... it is a 100 gallon. Am I missing somethin?
Matsp answered this more eloquently than I could have

in the UK we use Imperial gallons (although we're technically supposed to be metric, I think...). The US, when they standardized liquid measures, for some obscure reason, decided to do a "half-metrification" so that a Pint of water is the same as a Pound of water. This means that a Pint is 16fl.oz, rather than the UK's 20fl.oz. So although the basic fl.oz measure is the same, any measure based on pints is 20% greater in the UK (so carefull when you buy several pints of beer in the UK if you're from the US - after four pints, you've actually had five of the US version).
Thats why! it is relative; to put ones location in ones profile
and the reason for me saying
Can you put your location in your profile please.

Due to; If you reside in the UK and your aquaria is measured in inches
48" x 20" x 24" is roughly 85 gallons. If you see what I mean.
:)
I ‘Doc I can’t stop singing The Green, Green Grass of Home’
“That sounds like Tom Jones syndrome.
‘Is it common?’
“It’s not unusual.” :YMTONGUE:
Gourami Swami

Post by Gourami Swami »

I ended up getting a lima shovelnose and I love him to death! Hes about 6", is very active, and loves mysis shrimp :D

Pics soon!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”