C. weitzmani eggs at 14 days

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Coryologist
I've donated: $200.00!
My images: 11
My cats species list: 70 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Laurel Lake, NJ
Location 2: Laurel Lake, NJ
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

C. weitzmani eggs at 14 days

Post by Coryologist »

Greetings. I had a spawn of C. weitzmani, early on the 13th. It consisted of 28 eggs, all of which appeared viable. I removed the eggs to a 10G tank, which just happened to be in the absolute coldest part of the fish room. I added 6 alder cones and a well-seasoned sponge filter. All of my previous spawns of this specie hatched out in 4 or 5 days, although on one of the spawns, an unhealthy wiggler did appear on day 10, but it died within 24 hours. At 6 days there was no activity at all. On day seven, 1 egg developed fungus, but the rest appeared fine. On day eight, another developed fungus and the rest still appeared fine. Day 10? No change. It's right around then that I decided the eggs were not viable and only the alder cones had kept them all from developing fungus. So, on day 12 I'm ready to siphon the tank and what do I discover? A few healthy looking wigglers. A careful examination of the remaining eggs revealed that about 6 were spinning around, with their tails protruding fully from the egg case. Yesterday, I had a few more wigglers with most of the rest showing the tails and spinning. This morning, I have around 12 wigglers about 10 spinning eggs, about 4 healthy looking eggs and the original 2 that developed fungus. I'm hoping that the remaining are able to extricate themselves, It has been a while. So, if they are able to do so by tomorrow, that would make a 14 day hatching cycle. I thought this was an interesting observation that was worth sharing.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, I'd be interested to hear. - Frank
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

The delayed yet successful hatching is remarkable. I do not have Corydoras weitzmanni in my collection therefore no experience with the species. Just a question? Were you maintaining the spawning tank a low temperature like>70dF?
This is an incubation period coinciding with Many Aphyosemion species among some other Killies.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Coryologist
Interests: Fancy Guppies, Cory Cats, Digital Photography, DV, Triumph Motorcycles

Spawning Temp

Post by Coryologist »

apistomaster wrote:Were you maintaining the spawning tank a low temperature like 70° F? - Quote edited by Coryologist.
Hi. On a good day. :-) Generally that tank is in an area that is around 70° during the day and as low as 66° at night. - Frank
Skip206
Location 1: Central Scotland

Post by Skip206 »

Hi,just want to ask why you put alder cones in your hatching tank I've seen other people saying the same what are the benefits

Regards
Coryologist

Alder Cones

Post by Coryologist »

Skip206 wrote:Hi,just want to ask why you put alder cones in your hatching tank? - Quote edited by Coryologist.
Hi. There are used in place of Methyline Blue, which can kill all of the beneficial bacteria in your filter. The alder cones have similar effect as MB, but apparently in much lower concentrations. I'm still experimenting with their use. A "Google" search will bring up lots of info on the subject. - Frank
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Frank,
So this particular latent hatching C. weitmanni occured under the same conditions that you have had previous spawns that hatched in about 5 days usually, I presume.
I have only recently learned of the utility of Alder cones in prevention of fungal spreading to viable eggs. I used to dread each Spring in Seattle where the undeveloped areas are covered with Alder trees. It is one of the few pollens that I'm allergic to. It doesn't grow where I live now. It seems that if it works it would be a useful adjuct to keeping blackwater fishes. No mess that peatmoss entails and low cost compared to proprietary blackwater additives.
Is there a link to more info on the alder cone use in aquaria and potential sources?
Who'ed of thunk it?
Still, this delayed hatching is something very interesting. Especially if alder cones are the cause. It might make mailing Corydoras eggs possible if it could be harnessed in a predictable way. That would be a real boon and a way to get Tank Raised C. weitzmanni in the hands of more breeders. This species is undergoing incredible profiteering presently and anything that helps make them more available at a reasonable cost would be great. It will happen anyway eventually.
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

apistomaster wrote:Hi Frank,
So this particular latent hatching C. weitmanni occured under the same conditions that you have had previous spawns that hatched in about 5 days usually, I presume.
That would not be quite accurate. Most spawns hatched in water that was between 74° and 78° and did NOT contain Alder cones. This was one of my first spawns where they were used.
I have only recently learned of the utility of Alder cones in prevention of fungal spreading to viable eggs. I used to dread each Spring in Seattle where the undeveloped areas are covered with Alder trees. It is one of the few pollens that I'm allergic to. It doesn't grow where I live now. It seems that if it works it would be a useful adjuct to keeping blackwater fishes. No mess that peatmoss entails and low cost compared to proprietary blackwater additives.
Yes, I believe that they would suit that purpose, well.
Is there a link to more info on the alder cone use in aquaria and potential sources?
Not that I have at my fingertips, but a Google search will bring up many useful links.
Still, this delayed hatching is something very interesting. Especially if alder cones are the cause. It might make mailing Corydoras eggs possible if it could be harnessed in a predictable way. That would be a real boon and a way to get Tank Raised C. weitzmanni in the hands of more breeders.
That's certainly an interesting thought.
This species is undergoing incredible profiteering presently
Well, personally, I feel that's a wee bit of an overstatement, but, to each his own. I feel if I pay top dollar for a fish and spend a ton on feeding it lots of the best food available, then I should be able to get top dollar when it comes time to sell my fish. Add the unsuccessful spawns and the small number of eggs, per spawn and you start to see why the price is still high for many hobbyists. That being said, they are now readily available for $25 to $30 in various places. The important thing to remember is that when I was offered the fish at just over $100 each, delivered - no one put a gun to my head and forced me to buy them. :lol:
and anything that helps make them more available at a reasonable cost would be great. It will happen anyway eventually.
Yep. The prices are coming down monthly, which is a good thing. - Frank
Walker
Location 1: Edinburgh

c weitzmanii

Post by Walker »

About 2 months ago I bought 4 c weitzmanii (they were sent from London to Edinburgh where I live: the last ones they had. I put them in with some juvenile aenaeus and they seemed happy. In fact after about a week all the fish went into a glass cleaning frenzy. The result was a few of which 2 hatched and are growing - but I can't be sure yet which species.

This event was not repeated. For various reasons I put the aeneus in a larger tank with some paleatus and put 3 barbatus in with the weitzmanii - they did not react well to this change. The weitzmanii hid under some artificial tree roots and their orange colour went dark. Thinking that they were perhaps intimidated by the barbatus, I have moved them into the big tank with the aeneus and paleatus. I have yet to see how they react.

Can anyone tell me what conditions weitzmanii prefer. The temperature of both tanks is 22 C. Our water here is naturally soft with ph around 6, nitrite 0 in the tanks, weekly water change 20%.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Valerie Walker
Coryologist

Re: c weitzmanii

Post by Coryologist »

Walker wrote:Can anyone tell me what conditions weitzmanii prefer. The temperature of both tanks is 22 C. Our water here is naturally soft with ph around 6, nitrite 0 in the tanks, weekly water change 20%. Any comments/suggestions welcome. Valerie Walker - Quote edited by Coryologist.
Hi Valerie. I provide no special conditions in my fish room for any of my Corys. My well water comes out at pH 7.0 and medium hardness. I try to maintain the water at 70° this time of year and do 50% water changes 2x per week. I'm sure I'd be a much more successful Cory breeder if I did pay attention to the minor (and major) differences in species requirements, but there are only so many hours in the day. I'm lucky if I remember to move the S. barbatus to a tank far away from the heater, as they prefer cooler temperatures. One thing is that I rarely mix species in a tank. If you want the C. weitzmani to spawn for you, I would highly recommend their own breeding tank. Hope this helps. - Frank
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hi Frank,
I didn't mean to imply you were a greedy fish seller. I feel the same way about taking the financial risk entitles one to a good return if breeding is successful. Corydoras weitzmanni have just been an expensive Corydoras as it is being introduced to the hobby in small numbers. I think most Corydoras fans and even the Pleco keepers welcome the presence of more homegrown fish that are affordable and disease free.
I haven't found them near $30.00 each yet but I imagine that will change in due time. My congratulations, by the way, on your success with these beauties.
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

apistomaster wrote:Hi Frank,
I didn't mean to imply you were a greedy fish seller.
Hi Larry. I had a feeling my statement was going to be misinterpreted as I was typing it. I did not feel that you were casting any aspersions. :-)
I feel the same way about taking the financial risk entitles one to a good return if breeding is successful. Corydoras weitzmanni have just been an expensive Corydoras as it is being introduced to the hobby in small numbers. I think most Corydoras fans and even the pl*co keepers welcome the presence of more homegrown fish that are affordable and disease free.
I agree completely.
I haven't found them near $30.00 each yet but I imagine that will change in due time.
I believe you will by the new year.
My congratulations, by the way, on your success with these beauties.
I thank you very much. I hope that you are able to find some soon and I'll LYK when the $30 fish are available. - Frank
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

They were $19 at the auction I went to last weekend tup
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

Hey paulf,
You guys across the pond seem to have a headstart on us over here. Many firsts have happened over there with Corydoras.
Hi Frank,
Thanks, I just would like to see this one become a standard since it's so attractive but the spawns are small so it will take awhile before it is more common but I think it's on it's way. I lost out on an auction @$96.00/3.
There are plenty of other nice Corydoras in my collection that will keep me challenged not to mention the approximately 10 Hypancistrus and small Peckoltia species I'm trying to raise.
Under my "impossible" list are my 10 Heckel Discus I've raised from little 3 inchers and they are getting old enough and big enough to show signs of at least recognizing their opposite sexes.
Less glamorous but challenging is my Dicrossus filamentous, Checkerboard Cichlids. I have never made it past 7 days postfree swimming but I'll keep trying. This species has been hard for everyone I've talked with that have much experience with SA dwarf Cichlids.
Coryologist

Post by Coryologist »

apistomaster wrote: Hi Frank. Thanks, I just would like to see this one become a standard since it's so attractive but the spawns are small so it will take awhile before it is more common but I think it's on it's way. I lost out on an auction @$96.00/3.
Those 3 particular fish are swimming in my tank at the moment. You should have grabbed them. :-)
There are plenty of other nice Corydoras in my collection that will keep me challenged not to mention the approximately 10 Hypancistrus and small Peckoltia species I'm trying to raise.
I believe it's whateve makes you happy that you should be working on. Although I own L046, I'll take my C. teniente over them, any day. This new Cory is totally unique in all ways and I'm hoping that I'm about 1 week and a pound of live CA black worms away from being the first to spawn this fish. Wish me luck. - Frank
apistomaster

Post by apistomaster »

That is one of the interesting things I'm learning about Corydoras as I become more involved with them, their subtle differences that you have to take into account as you formulate your spawning attempt strategies. All my strategies involve a pound of California Blackworms a week.
I have finally nursed a group of Corydoras duplicareous back to health in time, I hope, to take advantage of the time of year. They will be getting their own setup next week. It's a busy fish week because I'm receving more new Corys and some L134's.
There were three of us vying for those 3 Cats fairly seriously. They went to the right guy in the end.
Coryologist

C. duplicareus

Post by Coryologist »

apistomaster wrote:That is one of the interesting things I'm learning about Corydoras as I become more involved with them, their subtle differences that you have to take into account as you formulate your spawning attempt strategies. All my strategies involve a pound of California Blackworms a week.
Yeah. Talk about the secret to success. :-)
I have finally nursed a group of Corydoras duplicareous back to health in time, I hope, to take advantage of the time of year. They will be getting their own setup next week.
I have a beautiful spawning group of C. duplicareus. They were very spotty spawners for a couple of years. For the past year they have become year round spawners. Never big numbers, but steady spawners. Two weeks on and 2 weeks off. I love that specie.
It's a busy fish week because I'm receving more new Corys and some L134's.
Good luck with those.
There were three of us vying for those 3 Cats fairly seriously. They went to the right guy in the end.
Mucho appreciation for the kind words. Be well. - Frank
Coryologist

C. weitzmani Eggs at 14 days

Post by Coryologist »

Hi. Well after getting tired of watchng those eggs spin around and a little gentle prodding from Ian, I decided to take the old camels hair paint brush to the eggs in an effort to get them out of their shells. I had previously tried the turkey baster blasting technique - with no results. Unbelievably, I got every one released with the paint brush, without hurting a single one. I now have 25 beautiful wigglers. I am so, so happy. - Frank
madattiver
My cats species list: 35 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:114)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Saskatoon, Sk, Canada

Post by madattiver »

congrats on all those little fry frank... not if only my corys would take note to what yours are doing and start producing something.

btw..
when is the next round of pics coming from you.. has been a while since we saw those great pics of your corys :D
Coryologist

Pics

Post by Coryologist »

Hi Adam. Hmmmm. Let's see. What would I have enjoyed doing today? Take some pics, maybe. What was I doing, today? Out back, scrubbing tanks and cleaning sponge filters. The weather was magnificent, but the task left much to be desired.

I need to take some pics. I'm way behind. I'm hoping to put a web gallery on line in the near future. I will of course keep you posted. I hope you are well. - Frank :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”