Brush Algae

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Genieworx
Location 1: Fareham, United Kingdom
Interests: Catfish, Guitars and Video Games..

Brush Algae

Post by Genieworx »

I recently noticed some fluff like substance growing on an Anubias plant in my tank. Following some investigation, it turns out that this is Brush Algae. All the plants in my tank are attached to Bogwood as I'm lazy, so does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the stuff without removing all the plants?

As a side to this. Is there a way to grow plants in sand. I used to try planting them directly but found this led to problems. Thanks in advance.

Paul
Genieworx
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Brush algae can be removed by hand (tedious) or by certain fish that eat such things. Rosy barbs come to mind. Of course, they will also eat some of your plants...

You can grow plants in sand, but you need a thick enough layer and the right types of plants...

--
Mats
Genieworx

Post by Genieworx »

Hi Mats,

Thanks again. I have a about an inch of sand at the bottom of the tank that is constantly varying due to my 3 Hoplo's! Is there a reference site or book I could refer to for the plants you mention?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I've used the method of "asking the shop + trial and error" to find what plants work well in my tanks. There are books and websites for plants, but I have no real recommendation.

--
Mats
Genieworx

Post by Genieworx »

Cheers Mats, to be honest the shops local to Portsmouth never seem to have a great selection, but I wanted some of the floating plant you mentioned so I'll go on a hunt.

Thanks again

Paul
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: London
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Is there a way to grow plants in sand. I used to try planting them directly but found this led to problems.
Most Anubius are good hardy plants that I've had a lot of success with.

Everything I've read says they should be attached to bogwood, and they do seem to grow well this way.

If you can't get them to grow in the sand, it's probably because they don't like it.

does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the stuff without removing all the plants?
The best ways I have discovered to get rid of algae are the following:

1) Reduce nitrate and phospate levels as much as possible - consider some sort of treatment unit

2) Stain the water with some nice new bogwood (this works really well)

3) Get floating plants such as Pistia. Some garden centres have this in their pond section, but only in the summer.

Combine these methods with manual removal, and you should be algae free in no time at all :wink:
Genieworx

Post by Genieworx »

It's funny you mention the bogwood as I just threw a soaked chunk in and then added a sack of charcoal to remove the tanins... :oops:

I'm gonna pop to a few garden/aquatic centres tommorrow in search of the Pistia as Mats mentioned it before. I do like having live plants in my tank and have Anubias mainly as my plecs won't eat it. I just want a little diversity I guess.

Thanks again.

Return to “Speak Easy”