Cichlid Compatibility

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
chief
Location 1: Wisconsin USA

Cichlid Compatibility

Post by chief »

Which bottom feeders and/or algae eaters would be safe to include with Malawi cichlids in a 55 gallon tank?

CHIEF
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

Tanganjikan Synodontis spp., the Malawian Synodontis, Lophiobagrus, Phyllonemus and the common Ancistrus should all go well with them, unless the above are very small and you have fully grown Aristochromis :wink:
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

be aware that the most popular Malawians are often Mbuna; lots of Mbuna's are nasty and peaceful cats like Phyllonemus can be in serious trouble when housed with -for example- Pseudotropheus elongatus, Melanochromis auratus or Cynotilapia spp.

the best suitable cats for a cichlid-infested Mbuna tank is Synodontis petricola. it's well capable of living with obnoxious little nippers and it also does fine on a greenveggieflake-based diet.

Other Syno's like S multipunctatus and cats like Lophiobagrus or Phyllonemus need much more 'animal stuff' in their diet, like mysis, cyclops, krill etc etc.

Very good Malawian cichlid for a tank with fish like these include Aulonocara, Placidochromis, Protomelas, Lethrinops, Sciaenochromis freyeri etc. these are all fairly peaceful as Malawians go and they have the same diet requirements.
Valar Morghulis
Vargur
Location 1: Iceland

Post by Vargur »

I have in my Malawi mbuna tanks without problems:
SAE,
Ansistus,
Peckoltia and Panaque sp.,
Synodontis.

Return to “Speak Easy”