exotic finds

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
justfishenator
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Rowing

exotic finds

Post by justfishenator »

I am looking to get 5-10 55gal tanks to breed plecos.
what plecos that exotic find sells are breedable?

Thanks
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

Why dont you list what they have and we'll be able to help you Zeb. Much easier to get the help if you provide the info.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Are you talking about http://www.exoticfinds.com? If so, consider that it will probably be complicated and expensive to import fish from the US to New Zealand, and also you need to consider what is legal to import into NZ before you ask someone to export it [you probably need to get an import license anyways - so you'd better find out what that costs and how you go about doing that before you start looking at what's available halfway across the globe].

You can find out from the Cat-eLog and Shane's world which species has been bred. I doubt very much that there are many species that have been bred that aren't at least documented that it's been done in the Cat-eLog. If anyone IS aware of species that have been bred, where the cat-elog doesn't say so, let me know by posting in the "suggestions and bugs" forum.

Once you have looked at that, you can then ask questions about the species you've "choosen", and we'll do our best to guide you...

--
Mats
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

MatsP is correct, it would be really expensive, and maybe not possible. Also, 55g aren't the ideal pleco breeding tank. If it were me, go with 40g breeders. They are like 36 x 18 x 16 inches. The height of a 55g is crazy, and, in my opinion, to much. U could build yourself a rack, 2 tanks high, for the 40g breeders.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”