Catfish at higher temps

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
costatus7
Location 1: Penzance, cornwall, u.k
Interests: Inventing, Surfing and keeping catfish

Catfish at higher temps

Post by costatus7 »

Hello Catfish Keepers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am keeping a 125ltr tank with one discus with a temperature of 28/29, is there any cats no larger than 12cm that can cope with the high temperature. I would be trying to keep to south american catfish either cory, plec or small pim whatever can deal with the temp

Thanks for any help.

Ben
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

I would think about rehoming that discus first if I was you, they need to be in groups of five or more and the minimum tank size I would reccomend would be 240L. Bear in mind a discus can get to 7".....
When you do get another tank, the only corys that will be ok in water that hot are adolphoi, duplicareus, gossei, suessei and sterbai. If you add others that prefer cooler water, you will shorten their lives considerably
gedtranter
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Brisbane, Australia

Post by gedtranter »

Thanks for your reply in the other thread paulf. You mention a shortened life span, what are other likely ill effects of keeping corys at a higher than usual temp for a couple of months of the year, if any? My tank can regularly get to 30C in summer otherwise I maintain 26C, I add extra aeration and haven't lost fish (my only corys are trilineatus) - they don't hang near the surface either etc.
kim m
My cats species list: 49 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Denmark
Interests: Pike and Carpfishing, Aquariums (mainly corys)

Post by kim m »

Corydoras sterbai and Corydoras gossei would be ok with it I think.

At least all discus keepers I talk to like these two species in their tanks.
Best regards,
Kim M
-----------
Catfish Study Group
Guardians of Catfish
Skive Akvarieforening
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

From personal experience are also OK at slightly higher temperatures.

As mentioned, shorter lifespan and lower weight (as the metabolic rate is faster than the fish can digest the food) can be the effect of elevated temperatures. Inability to breed would be another consequence.

Bear in mind also that corys are very hardy fish, and in nature, they will be among the last ones to survive when a river becomes a still puddle in dry season. They can get to the surface and get atmospheric oxygen, as opposed to many other fish that rely on the oxygen in the water only - at this point, the fish are also often at higher than ideal temperatures. But a hot, low-oxygen puddle of water isn't "the best environment".

--
Mats
costatus7
Location 1: Penzance, cornwall, u.k
Interests: Inventing, Surfing and keeping catfish

Post by costatus7 »

I have a 450 ltr which is what i wanted to add the discus too, but the highest i can raise my temperature to is 27. i have 2 limas, goldie plecs, peppermint pleco, and platydoras costatus all of which are fine in 27 the prob i have perhaps is a para plec and severums, severum breeding temps are 26 27 as ive read so i might be o.k there the para plec im not sure :? . even if it is 27 might still be to low for discus :? , in regards to succeptability to disease also do common discus diseases affect other fish would they be a risk to the rest of the stocking.

Thanks again Ben :D
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

I have my discus at 28, but I wouldn't try it lower than that tbo, just stick with the corys I suggested and if you want more corys, get another tank like I did :D

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”