Want to buy long finned c. paleatus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
LizStreithorst
Location 1: Fowl River AL
Interests: learning new stuff

Want to buy long finned c. paleatus

Post by LizStreithorst »

Hello All,
My name is Liz and this is my first post here. I raise Discus and other fish compatible with Discus. I don't have any Corys yet. I'd like to buy some breeding age long finned c. paleatus. Any one have any for sale?
Liz
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

What temperature do you keep your Discus? I've found that Corydora paleatus like the water on the cooler side (70-75 degrees F.). There are other Corydora species that do better in warmer temperatures. I'm sure others can pipe in with the warmer water Corydora sp. :wink:
Amanda
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Amanda,

I had just moved the topic and sort of got side-tracked when you reminded me.

Whilst most corys are fairly tolerant to temperature outside their ideal range, I agree that C. paleatus aren't particularly suited for a Discus tank.

The common suggestion of one that is reasonably easy to get hold of and tolerant of higher temperature range is .

--
Mats
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Thanks, Mats. :wink:
Amanda
LizStreithorst

Post by LizStreithorst »

I keep most of my Discus on the low side of their range, 82 to 84. If the paleatus cannot tolerate this, I guess I need to look at the sterbai. I know the fish. I think they look cool.
My other consideration is ease of breeding. I understand that the paleatus are very easy. I'm not a catfish breeder. Are these guys easy or hard?
Liz
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

First of all, I find it unlikely that you'd be able to breed corys in the same tank as you keep discus (the discus will most likely find the eggs/fry before you do), and particularly if you keep you corys at an elevated temperature compared to their natural habitat. 82-84'F is definitely outside the guidelines for C. paleatus.

If you actually want to breed the Corydoras species, I'd say start with their own tank, set to around 72'F, fairly soft water.

C. sterbai aren't the easiest to breed, that's for sure. They are not the hardest either - there are a few reports of breeding them in this forum, so you may want to read those reports.

[I'm pretty sure mine spawned the other day, but of course in a community tank with several oppurtunist feeders, nothing is likely to come of it...]

--
Mats
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I can tell you that the C.paleatus in my tanks seem to enjoy it around 72-74 degrees F.(in soft water)for breeding. The past week has been to their liking very much. I was fortunate to be home, with my last 10 gallon tank at the ready. The first group of eggs hatched this morning. They hadn't laid very many eggs during the summer.(Of course I wanted to move the tanks around last weekend :lol: )
Amanda
LizStreithorst

Post by LizStreithorst »

Mats, Thanks for the info. No, I didnot plan on trying to breed in a community tank. I have a seperate breeding room with tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 40 gallons where I house my various pairs. Right now I have Discus, Angels, Bristlenose Plecs, and Pearl Gouramis. This is where the Cory's woud go. I'll check out the posts about breeding the Sterbai. It sounds like that is my best bet. Thanks all for the info.
gedtranter
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Brisbane, Australia

Post by gedtranter »

Going back to the point about corys that like warmer temps, which are the other ones in addition to Sterbai?
paulf
Location 1: Worcestershire
Interests: Fish.....

Post by paulf »

Just added this into another thread in here.

C.adolphoi, duplicareus, gossei, suessei and sterbai are ok with discus

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”