UV sterilizers and bio bac

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
iis2see
Location 1: Durham, ON. Canada

UV sterilizers and bio bac

Post by iis2see »

I would like to know how UV serilizers affect the benificial bacteria in the tank system?

Are they best ahead of a filter, after, or on there own circulator?

On this topic, does anyone know if the home sterilizers have a check-valve, to stop the migration of bacteria into the post strilized pipes, when the water flow is stopped between uses?
Barracuda are pretty fast, particularly the Hemi variety.
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

UV sterilizers do not effect the beneficial bacteria. They are attached safely out of harms way on the filter media.
A check or foot valve could no harm but it is really nothing to be concerned with.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Crazie.Eddie
Location 1: Illinois

Post by Crazie.Eddie »

The UV is supposed to be connected on the output flow of the filter. Make sure you buy the correct UV to match your filter flow for the best dwell time (length of time the water makes contact with the UV light). For example, do not buy a 9 watt UV filter, which you plan to connect on a Eheim Pro II 2128.
- Ed

125 Gallon (1*L018 Gold Nugget, 1*L204 Flash, 1*L260 Queen Arabesque, 5*Discus, 5*Angels, 5*Clown loaches, 8*Harlequin Rasboras, 3*Rainbowfishes, 5*Otocinclus, 7*Cories)
20 Gallon Long (2*L046 Zebras, 1*L183 Starlight Bristlenose, 10+* Cherry shrimp, 4*Otocinclus)
20 Gallon Long (20+* Cherry shrimp, 5*Amano shrimp, 2*Bamboo shrimp)

Return to “Tank Talk”