Stocking my tank.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
justfishenator
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Rowing

Stocking my tank.

Post by justfishenator »

I want to try my hands at pleco breeding. I was thinking these fish.

Snowball Pleco L102 x3 (1M2F)
Iquito Tiger L226 x3 (1M2F)
German Gold Ram x5 (2M3F)
Half Black Angelfish (Pair)
Zebra Danio x12
Coolie Loach x6
Red tailed Shark x1

Know i know that plecos love fast currents so I am going to have power heads running along the bottom of the tank, becasue angels hate currents I have to be careful.
If i kept them in the ratios above will i get the spawning?
Also what is this
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Re: Stocking my tank.

Post by Marc van Arc »

justfishenator wrote:I want to try my hands at pl*co breeding. I was thinking these fish.

Snowball pl*co L102 x3 (1M2F)
German Gold Ram x5 (2M3F)
Zebra Danio x12
Coolie Loach x6
Red tailed Shark x1
Hello and welcome to PC.
If you want to breed plecos, you should give them some room. As they mainly use the bottom of the tank, I shouldn't add the Rams and the loaches, because they occupy the same waterlayer.
The Red-tailed shark is known to be agressive, especially when kept single. Not a good idea imo.
You've already pointed out the problem with Angels, but it's worth trying.
The Danios can be used as dithers, which means they will make your catfishes less afraid of showing themselves during the day.
So I would say try this:

Snowball pl*co L102 x3 (1M2F)
Zebra Danio x12

PS: you've mentioned L226 twice. I assume that should be another species?
justfishenator
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Rowing

Post by justfishenator »

sorry what is the black and white fish above?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

When I first read the message, I thought the fish you posted was a L102 - but seeing as you're questioning it, I would guess that it's .

It's a bit hard to tell from that picture, but given that they are are fairly common fish with big black-and-white spots, that would be my first guess.

In my personal opinion, if you want to breed plecos, you'd be best off having one species per tank - there are all sorts of reasons for this, the main one being that there's no interspecific aggression, which can otherwise cause the males to "fail to spawn".

Another reason to keep single species tanks is that you don't have to "consider the others" when you do things to the tank to trigger a spawn with feeding or water chemistry changes - and you know which group is eating what and how much, etc.

For most species, I'd say that 1M 2F is the best proportion, but 1M 1F will also work. More males can sometimes make the dominant more attractive (strange ways these things work), but more often than not, it causes fights between the males that causes the male to be more occupied with fighting than wooing, which leads to no spawn.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”